- The Pole
- Must be circular in cross-section.
- Must have a diameter of no greater than 2 inches (50.8 mm) from the top of the pole to a point no less than 3 inches (76.2 mm) above the putting green surface.
- Must have a constant diameter of no greater than 0.75 inches (19 mm) from a point 3 inches (76.2 mm) above to 3 inches (76.2 mm) below the putting green surface.
- Must not incorporate features, including its material composition, designed to act in a shock absorbing manner or have shock absorbing properties upon impact with the ball.
- The Flag and Ornamental Attachments
- Must be of reasonable size and be located near the top of the pole.
- Can indicate but must not measure wind direction and speed; and must not have any functional purpose other than to aid identification of the location of the hole.
- Attachments to the flag are not permitted.
- Other Attachments
- Attachments to the pole may be permitted more than 3 inches (76.2 mm) below the putting green surface but must be constrained to this area.
- Attachments to the pole may be permitted more than 3 inches (76.2 mm) above the putting green surface provided that they fall within at least one of the following categories:
- a.Indicators of a reasonable size used to identify the location of the flagstick on the green (e.g. front, middle, back);
- b.Reflectors and similar attachments of a reasonable size for use with distance-measuring devices are permitted;
- Attachments to the pole other than those specified in a and b that are generally circular in cross-section and no greater than 2 inches (50.8 mm) in dimension perpendicular to the pole.
Note: Specifications relative to the putting green surface are based on the flagstick being located correctly in the hole.